Many action movies feature a “runaway” vehicle, train, or plane, that is somewhat or completely out of control and must be stopped before, for example in the case of a train, it derails catastrophically on a turn. These movies, some of which are based at least partly on real life events, are full of key mathematical concepts.
Format: 8 page downloadable .PDF file (check out the image for an overview of the pages).
Contents: Tutorial, worksheet and worked solution.
- MATH SCENARIO 1: ASSESSING THE LOAD
- MATH SCENARIO 2: A MISSILE THE SIZE OF THE CHRYLSER BUILDING
- MATH SCENARIO 3: CHASING DOWN THE TRAIN
- MATH SCENARIO 4: SAFE CORNERING SPEED
- REAL LIFE EXAMPLE – CSX 8888 INCIDENT AND RUNAWAY RAMPS
Curriculum Codes: ACMMG108 | ACMMG160 | ACMMG195 | ACMEM086 | ACMMG199 | ACMMM132 | ACMMM135